$150 per night
The Keydet, named for the mascot of Virginia Military Institute (VMI), is fondly in memory of G. W. Effinger Herring, father of the current innkeeper, a Class of 1938 graduate of the institute. This served as his room in later years.
Decorated in school colors, red, white and yellow, the Keydet displays a sprinkling of VMI memorabilia, including a large handmade antique quilt in the Courthouse Steps Pattern, proudly made by Herring ancestors out of VMI dress uniform cape pieces. It is quite a treasure.
- The Keydet boasts an antique high backed walnut queen size bed, original to the Herring family. One is sure to enjoy the comfy memory foam mattress.
- In this cheery room you will find a collection of VMI Wedgewood plates, proudly on display, along with a tasteful blend of other family antiques and traditional furnishings.
- The Keydet has a beautiful fireplace, decorative only for now, with the original hand carved mantle.
- The original clawfoot bathtub is still in the private bath of the Keydet, though a shower has been added for guest comfort.
- The Keydet and the adjoining Bright Bovine can be reserved together for a two room suite.